Connect with me on...

Wednesday 10 October 2012

CABARIOT!


The text arrives from Mannish ("Out of frisky & Mannish", as Smash Hits would have put it): "Are you free on Tuesday, please say yes". Something was occurring. I don't watch X-Factor myself, but apparently something called a Gary Barlow had been using the word cabaret in a derogatory way. Oh dear. Seems to me that someone who's supposed to have their chubby little finger on the pulse of entertainment should know that cabaret is where much of the cool, interesting, new, edgy, fun stuff happens these days. That's a shame for him, because Frisky & Mannish had decided to do something about it, and were rallying the cabaret troops. And boy, do we like a fight. We're scrappy.

So, how else to explain some of the brightest talents in the UK cabaret scene (and your friendly neighbourhood tablecloth-puller..) gathering together, in full finery, complete with film crew, to spend a day being witty, silly, and cool? There was lip-syncing, brainwashing, makeovers and awesomeness. And soon, you'll be able to see the result - our response to those permatanned talent-puddles daring to use our word to describe something mediocre. This was one of those days where you remember why you do this. It's the next day as I write this and I'm still grinning like an idiot, and humming a certain brand new protest song.

I brought along my camera, so you can get a sneak behind the scenes peek at what went on below...






















No comments: